963-laue castle hotel Franconia Forest Franconian hospitality on the beer
street (Bierstrasse) and german castle road
High above the part town of Ludwigsstadt in
Franconia, a state-proved recreaction town near the border to Thuringea, the legendary
a jewel in the Franconia Forest, rises on top of a forested hill
over the valley of the Loquitz river, a left tributary stream of the Saale river.
In the buildings of the pre-castle, the former deanery from 1749 and the
former parsonage from 1831, the 963-laue castle hotel Franconia Forest
offers over 30 overnight stay possibilities, modernly furnished, rustical guest rooms and
lounge, which are ideal for festivities, family festivals, meetings and seminars, as well
as a romantic beer garden. You can dine excellently in the restaurant
"Burghalle" (castle hall) [Jagdzimmer (hunting room)] or in the restaurant
"Hochzeitszimmer" (wedding room) as well as in the view terrace (upper and lower
porch). You also have a beautiful view towards the town and the Loquitz river valley from
the beer garden.
|Sightseeings and excursion trips
tower Thuringian Warte (look-out)
The tower Thuringian Warte (look-out) rises 26.5 meters high on the top
of the 678 meters high Ratzenberg hill, about 2 km away from the 963-laue castle hotel Franconia Forest. The air-line distance from there to the country border
of Thuringia is only 200 meters. It was built in the year 1963. Because of its unique
situation at the former border between Bavaria and the German Democratic Republic, it was
not only a "window" to the other part of Germany, but also an important
touristic attraction in Bavaria, which has seen up to about 1 million visitors until
present. Even today, after the reunification of the two German states, the Thuringia Warte
(look-out) is still an attraction, from where you can look far towards the
"Grune Herz Deutschlands" ("green heart of Germany") (Thuringia slate
mountains). An exhibition inside the view tower lights up the history of the internal
Slate mining and slate working had a long tradition in
Ludwigsstadt on the Loquitz river and its town parts until the middle of the 20th century.
Especially the manufacturing of slates achieved great importance. A museum, founded in
1981 and brought under in a former factory building since 1993, reminds of the great
The slate rmuseum dedicates itself among others to the subjects geology in the area
Ludwigsstadt, history of the slate mining, working in the slate disruption and in the
cottage, slate and stylus making, slates as raw material for the industry, and social
history of the slate industry.
Opening hours: Tuesdays to Sundays from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Special performances upon
Chocolate factory (confiserie)
The chocolate factory (Confiserie) in Ludwigsstadt makes
handworked chocolates. A visit of the manufactory is not only interesting for gourmet
friends. Here you can watch the Chocolate factory during their work and follow the way
from the raw materials to the gourmet product. The noble delectabilities are also offered
in direct sale.
Opening hours: Mondays to Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturdays from 10:00 a.m.
to 2:00 p.m.
The fairy tale grottos in Saalfeld
The fairy grotto in the Thuringian Saalfeld (about 30 km north)
are considered to be the most colorful show grottos of the world. They arised from a
closed slate mine. Numerous stones (stalagmites and stalactites), which have grown in
relatively short time, present themselves in the most bizarre forms. The richness of
colors has its cause in the appearance of multifarious minerals. The single cave rooms
have names such as Marchendom (fairy tale dome), Blaugrune Grotte (blue-green grotto) or
Butterkeller (butter basement). A big adventure playground awaits the small visitors in
the fairy tale grotto park. A guest house and the grotto inn take care of your physical
The fairy tale grottos can also be visited in a program of a 45-minute guidance. Directly
near the grottos there are plenty of parking lots.
Opening hours: March to October daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., in November only
Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., in December to February daily from
10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Further excursion trips
The 963-laue castle hotel Franconia Forest is an ideal starting point
- Hikings on the race
track (7 km away from the 963-laue castle hotel Franconia Forest and
37 km away to the start resp. finish in Blankenstein on the Saale river), which leads
through Thuringia and Bavaria,
- for trips to the Saale river valley blockades,
- in the Goethe and Schiller town Weimar (about 80 km north) in Thuringia,
- in the Bavarian state bath Bad Steben (about 43 km southwest) in
- to Bayreuth in Franconia with the Wagner festival plays (about 86 km
- to Bamberg on the Main river in Franconia (World Heritage Site, about 97
- to Oberhof in Thuringia for the winter sports (about 75 km northwest),
- in die beer town Kulmbach in Franconia (about 58 km south),
- to Coburg in Franconia with its ducal castles (about 60 km southwest)
- as well as in the Lucas-Cranach town Kronach in Franconia with the
fortress Rosenberg (about 38 km south), just to mention a couple of examples.
In the 963-laue castle hotel Franconia Forest the
guest can enjoy the quietness and tranquility of the region of the Franconia Forest. Among others, a guidance through the museum of the castle 963-laue, an ascent on the
view tower Thuringia look-out or a visit in the chocolate factory (Confiserie).
Romantic short vacation castle package
package "romantic short vacation" includes 2 overnight stays in a
double bedroom in the 963-laue castle hotel Franconia Forest with
vacation dinner package "Half-board", entrance in the castle 963-laue, 10% discount by
shopping in the chocolate factory (Confiserie) and the booklet "A hiking through the
The Lauenstein castle festival is a special highlight on the castle 963-laue, which takes place
every two years (odd years, so 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, etc.) on the 4th weekend in June.
Then the castle 963-laue and the town transforms into a medieval scenery, where knight's people, jugglers
and trooper show themselves in action in their medieval traditional costume.
Town and community
The town part of Ludwigsstadt in upper Franconia, which belongs to the castle 963-laue, is the oldest town of
the community Ludwigsstadt. Until the 11th century the area was especially populated from
the Sorbs. Then German settlers invaded with the Slavonian population. The foundation of
the town is in tight connection with the foundation of the Benedictine monastery Saalfeld.
As original feud of the monastery, the town first also belonged in church influence area.
In 1125 the churches of the town went to the diocese Mainz, where they stayed until the
initiation of the reformation in the year 1525.
Over the centuries, the town was seat of an office, where over 2,500
residents could be counted in the 18th century. Besides the agriculture, the metal working
industry in the Loquitz river valley was the source of income for the people. The ruin of
the montan industry in the first half of the 19th century lead to a pauperization of
the population, which could although be reduced through the soon flourishing slate
industry. The development to a tourism town in the 20th century found an abrupt end
through the Second World War and the following splitting of Germany. The former border
situation at the border to the German Democratic Republic acted repressive for the economy
and the tourism. This first changed with the fall of the Berlin Wall. Since 1978 the town
is a town part of Ludwigsstadt.
The whole community area of Ludwigsstadt in the valley of the Loquitz
river, which meets about 5 km south of Saalfeld in Thuringia at the Saale river, counts
about 4,000 residents at present. The foundation of the present town came into being
during the time of the end of the 11th and the beginning of the 12th century. In 1377 it
became the market law. The medieval town Ludwigsstadt was protected by 3 town gates, but
from which none are obtained at present. But there was no town wall. The montan industry
was an important economic factor for the town already since the end of the 15th century,
but was temporarily stalled in the Thirty Years' War (1618 to 1648). In the 1630s,
plunderings and murders were orders of the day. It took about a half a century, until
Ludwigsstadt on the Loquitz river recovered from the human and economic catastrophe.
At the site of the dying metalworking industry, the slate mining came to
be in the middle of the 19th century, which stayed commanding until the Second World War
on industrial area. Today, the economical structure is stamped from a diversified
industry, which reaches over from the wood-working to the chemical cosmetic production and
the glass industry and porcelain industry to the tourism. Administrative, Ludwigsstadt
belongs to the district Kronach in the administrative region upper Franconia today.
963-laue castle hotel Franconia Forest Bavaria Germany Thuringia Rennsteig Mountains
Castle hotel rooms room
rates Bavaria Franconia hotels dog
Bavaria view beer garden castle
Romantic castle vacation package trip trips Germany
Meeting hotel conference center seminar package
Wedding destination location celebration marriage Bavaria Franconia castle hotel
menus buffet buffets party
Christmas in Germany trip trips short vacation package
museum Franconia Forest Bavaria
castle history Bavaria South Germany
Castle legends Franconia Bavaria Germany fairy tale
biking trips bicycling horse wagon gliding Bavaria upper Franconia Forest trips
fishing bathing sea swimming pool pools hotel Franconia Bavaria Germany
Tennis squash skittle alley hotel Franconia
Golf in Germany
club clubs golf course courses trip trips hotel hotels vacation package school
Winter vacation ski resort Franconia Bavaria Germany trip trips area club skiing hotel
Mountains hiking map Thuringia Franconia Forest Bavaria
Road map of Germany no. 1 airport airports
Road map no. 2
Bavaria Thuringia Munich Augsburg castle Neuschwanstein Gera Erfurt hotel hotels
Road map no. 3
Franconia North Bavaria Nuremberg Wurzbuurg Rothenburg ob der Tauber arrival
Road map no. 4 Upper
Franconia Bayreuth Bamberg Coburg Germany
Road map no. 5
Franconia Forest arrival train station